Westport Federal Credit Union is proud to once again participate in the 2023 Student Essay Contest sponsored by the CCUA. This statewide contest will be open to seventh and eighth-grade students. Eight (8) winning essays will be chosen: a first-prize winner and seven (7) finalists. An awards ceremony will be held on May 19, 2023, to honor the contest winners.
2023 Essay Contest QUESTION
“With the worst of it behind us, the world continues to adjust to a new normal in the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic. There have been many adjustments in the ways we work, the way we learn, and the way we socialize as a result. Please discuss the changes in your own life that have become part of YOUR new normal…things you do differently now from the way you did them before Covid.”
Students are asked to write an essay revolving around this theme. The essay should be no more than 250 words in length. Please follow the guidelines below.
Rules & Procedures for Participation:
The contest rules and eligibility requirements for participants are as follows:
- Only students currently in the seventh and eighth grades are eligible to participate.
- Students must be Massachusetts residents.
- Schools must be located in Massachusetts.
- Students must be sponsored by a member credit union in good standing with the Association.
- All essays must be handwritten by the student.
- Essays should be no more than 250 words in length.
- Only one essay per student may be submitted. Each student may be sponsored by only one credit union.
- Each essay should include the student’s name and grade level, home address, school name, teacher’s name, principal’s name, and sponsoring credit union. (A standard essay form has been provided -- make copies as necessary.)
- Essays will be judged on the following criteria:Originality
There will be eight (8) top winners with the following awards:
First Prize (1) - $500
Finalists (7) - $250
Honorable Mention winners (10) – $50
Once we review all applications, we will forward our selections to the CCUA. Their respective committee will make the final decision on the winners.
Applications may be dropped off at our Main Office or mailed to:
Westport Federal Credit Union
P.O. Box 288
Westport, MA 02790
Attn: Samantha O’Keefe
You may also email the completed documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline is Monday, January 23, 2023.