Westport Federal Credit Union is proud to participate in the 2022 Student Essay Contest sponsored by the CCUA. This statewide contest will be open to seventh and eighth-grade students. Eight (8) winning essays will be chosen: a first prize winner and seven (7) finalists. An awards ceremony will be scheduled in the spring to honor the contest winners.
2022 Essay Contest Question
“Your community, your country, and the entire world continue to battle the effects of the Covid-19 virus pandemic. Everyone has experienced changes in how we work, how we learn, how we socialize and credit unions have worked hard to continue to serve their members’ varied financial needs under very challenging circumstances – remote workers, sick or caregiving staff, covid restrictions such as masks, social distancing, and protective barriers, etc. Please share the three biggest covid impacts in your own life and how you have challenged yourself to overcome them.”
Students are asked to write an essay revolving around this theme. The essay should be no more than 250 words in length. Please follow the guidelines below.
Rules & Procedures for Participation:
The contest rules and eligibility requirements for participants are as follows:
- Only students currently in the seventh and eighth grades are eligible to participate.
- Students must be Massachusetts residents.
- Schools must be located in Massachusetts.
- Students must be sponsored by a member credit union in good standing with the Association.
- All essays must be handwritten by the student.
- Essays should be no more than 250 words in length.
- Only one essay per student may be submitted. Each student may be sponsored by only one credit union.
- Each essay should include the student’s name and grade level, home address, school name, teacher’s name, principal’s name, and sponsoring credit union. (A standard essay form has been provided — make copies as necessary.)
- Essays will be judged on the following criteria: Originality – Content – Neatness – Grammar/Spelling
There will be eight (8) top winners with the following awards:
~ First Prize (1) – $500
~ Finalists (7) – $250
~ Honorable Mention winners (10) – $50
Once we review all applications, we will forward our selections to the CCUA. Their respective committee will make the final decision on the winners.
Applications may be dropped off at our Main Office or mailed to:
Westport Federal Credit Union
P.O. Box 288
Westport, MA 02790
Attn: Samantha O’Keefe
You may also email the completed documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is Friday, January 24, 2022.